Friday, July 17, 2009

Benjamin Davis Scott





On June 30th Benjamin Davis Scott was born. I went in on Monday the 29th to the doctor, he sent me to St. Agnes to get an NST test done and an ultrasound to check the fluid levels. While at the ultrasound appointment the technician said that she is predicting Ben to be 9 lbs. 15 oz.!!! Derek and I just laughed and when we talked to our doctor he said, "no way he is that big" So we put that behind us, but we did find out that my fluid levels were low, so Dr. B decided to induce me. I went home and got my bag packed and had dinner, and we went back to the hospital around 8:30pm. I had to get anitbiotics so they did that and gave me a sleeping pill. Dr. B. was going to be in in the morning to break my water, he came around 6am and I hadn't had any conrtactions throughout the night, so instead of just breaking my water, he started me on pitocin and said he would be back in the afternoon to break my water. Around 1pm my water broke on its own, and my contractions hit pretty hard! They hurt, so I asked for pain meds. by the time the pain meds got there, about 45 mins. later, I was ready for my epidural. I had the epidural about 10 mins. later and after that I felt great!! No pain, I was still able to feel everything and move my legs, but absolutely no pain. I was able to sleep and truly enjoy the fact that I was in labor. Around 8:30pm or a little earlier I felt the need to push, they called the doctor, he got there around 8:45 pm I pushed for a half hour, and after a FULL episotomy (snip, snip, snip, tear) Bejamin was in my arms. The whole expereince, minus the 45 minutes of pain right after my water broke, was wonderful. However, I can't imagine doing it without an epidural. With the epidural I was able to truly enjoy the birth experince of my son. Now, Benjamin did not weigh 9 lbs. 15 oz. but he did weigh 9lbs. even!!! Which would explain the full episiotomy! He was 21 in. in length, and he is absolutely gorgeous! He is now 2 1/2 weeks old and we are loving our little man. We have already taken him to the Big Trees and the beach house. The more I get out the better I feel. The first few days I was pretty sore from the stitches, but after that they really haven't been too painful. I am feeling great, I am missing being pregnant a little though... but I am so happy to be able to hold Ben in my arms and to be able to see Derek with Ben. He has already proven himself to be an exceptional father. All in All Ben is perfect and life right now is pretty much amazing!!!

2 comments:

catd said...

Good choice of pictures. And yes, I agree Derek is being a good daddy. And, and, and...you are being a great mommy.

Jenna said...

Owww on the episiotomy! But at least you didn't just tear the whole way, better for it to be a clean cut! And at least you only pushed for 30 min, then he was here. I pushed for 4 hours and he didn't even come out :(
Congrats again!